August 20 is International Homeless Pets Day and it is a day to celebrate taking care of our own pets, finding homes for homeless pets and celebrating the work that shelter operators and rescues perform with pets awaiting their forever homes.
International Homeless Animals Day has its origins when the International Society for Animal Rights decided in 1982 to dedicate a day to spread awareness about pet overpopulation.
Pet Calendar: International Homeless Pets Day
How can you, your family and your beloved pets celebrate International Homeless Pets Day?
Here are a few options:
- Volunteer at a local shelter.
- Make a donation to a local shelter
- Have your pet spayed or neutered to help address pet overpopulation.
- Foster a pet
- Google International Homeless Pet Day events and attend one
- Adopt a pet from a local shelter
- Pay the fee for an adoption of a pet from a shelter so someone who wants a pet but cannot afford one can bring one home
At Positively Woof we know that training shelter dogs like movie stars can help them find their forever homes. If a shelter dog is given love and attention and even taught basic commands like: sit, stay, lay, come and more, he may be more adoptable than a dog who doesn’t know simple commands.
Do you have any experience in training dogs? Have you ever considered stopping by a shelter and volunteering your services to train a dog? You just might help him find his forever home!